Friday, January 29, 2010

Kicking Debt in the A** and Other Ramblings

So I've taken a little break...

but don't worry, I haven't given up the blogging just yet. It's going to take me a while to become more accountable and actually take the time to update this blog but, as I have announced to myself, this will be one of my goals this year. So yeah add it to the list, lol.

While you were gone...

Don't worry, I didn't just sit around and do nothing while I was gone. I have started a little challenge for myself::: 1 hour of tv a day. Know you may not know this but I spend more time watching tv in a day than most people do in a week! Seriously, I could probably sit in front of the tv for a whole day... wait I definitely have so cross the probably. I've only started it this week and have lasted so far. Actually, it hasn't really been as hard as I thought it was going to be. I'm in grad school so most of the time I was doing homework and studying. Also, I did cook all this week! Good things too, like one day I wade seared ahi tuna with rice, corn, and garlic bread. It was delicious!

So you might be wondering why I started a challenge like this for myself. Well, I also went out and bought the book The Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss the revised version. Well not the book but the audio cd because I don't have the time to read a book lol. I have gotten a lot of information from the book but a lot of it has to do with having a business on the side. Since I don't have a business yet I have been using some of the principles in my own life now and watching tv less (actually I think some people have cut it out altogether) is one of the principles. I really think that I want to actually read the book (I have the original book but never got past page 8!) and write down some of the principles and then blog my action plan for a week ... or two... regarding the principles. This should be interesting.

Take that school loans...

I have a school loan that is a variable interest loan. This loan makes me hyperventilate at times because it is so much, $40,000. We won't get into why I took it out but lets just say I was young and stupid and now I'm paying for it. We will forever call this loan D4L (Debt for life because the stupid thing has a term of 20 years! I just absolutely hate seeing my payoff date: 2029). So D4L and I just don't see eye to eye. I want to smash him and well I think he just wants to live. Do I have put myself on a new and improved plan. Well not really but I have decided that I will stop saving for two years and put all my money towards D4L until he is gone. DIE D4L DIE!!!

My monthly payment is $345.67. Oh did I mention that D4L has compounded interest that accrues DAILY!!! So about every month I have to pay $312 in interest before any money every reaches  my prinicple. So now I have decided to pay $1,300 every month. It should only take me 3 years to pay this off. Three years seems like a decade but at least I can be finished in 2013 instead of 2029. Now this doesn't effect my plans of traveling. In 2 1/2 years I'm selling my house... and by God's grace will have some profit to pay off the loan earlier than planned. I will have to travel on my current savings and the money I get from selling off ALL my things. That's the goal, but it won't happen for 2 1/2 - 3 years.

That leads me to my travelling goals...

So, after little convincing from my boyfriend, I have decided to get certified! TEFL here I come. If I sign up before Sunday (in two days) I get a free course on teaching Business! And the best part is ... the price! It's only $295 (Sorry savings but I NEED this). This goes right along with my masters and hopefully I can find a job overseas really easy because I will have: an MBA, TEFL certificate, and a course on teaching Business (don't know if that is a certificate or not). Someone has got to hire me right??? By the way, the job is just a backup plan. Hopefully I will find my muse and become an entrepreneur!

Ok so what have you been doing to kill your debt? How are you trying to obtain your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment